Monday, April 23, 2007

Free Form Freedom!

So, about 10 or 12 years ago, I went to an award ceremony for the theatre community in Chicago, which is where I am originally from. A friend of mine had been nominated for an award and so I went along with some other friends to support her. It was at this event that I discovered that I am an Artist! At the time, I was was wearing my hair natural ( I am african-american) and I was wearing African garb. Most of my family and friends did not understand my look. But at this event, there were lots of people who looked like me and I received a ton of compliments that night. I realized that the artists were my kind of people!

The only problem is that I really did not think I had any artistic talent whatsoever! I just started telling people that I am an artist, all the while wondering what my talent was. I love writing and started a novel about 2 years ago. But I lost focus and still have not gotten beyond the first 30 pages. Its hard work and it does not just flow from my fingers. I tried to design some clothes with a friend but everything just came out looking the same. So that was not it.

Then, in 2006, after going through one of the hardest times of my life, I picked up my long lost knitting needles and started working the yarn. I eventually picked up a crochet hook and taught myself to crochet. Before I knew it, I was making granny squares with the best of 'em! I made a beautiful afgan and I was hooked! So, I wondered if this was my art. I thought no, I this is crafty, but not necessarily art for me.

Well, this past Saturday, I went to a class on Free Form Crochet, taught by Fayla Reiss. Ladies and gentlemen, I believe I have found my art! I loved the class. we learned how to make a free form handbag. This lady is a mega talent in the knitting world and I felt priveledged to be in her class. She was dynamic and just a great teacher. At first, I looked at what I was creating and I thought it was junk. But, Ms. Reiss was so encouraging that I just kept at it. I love what I am creating. I will post pictures soon.

At any rate, if you ever get the opportunity to take a class with Fayla Reiss, jump on it. She is fantastic.

Until next time, keep on knitting and pearling! And remember, the end is always better than the beginning, so persvere!

No comments: